Monday, August 18, 2008

Message to 2008: You win. We surrender!

This stinkin' year claims another victim. This is from my sister Katie earlier this AM in regards to her husband Jamie:
Jamie took a bad fall yesterday on the boat and fractured his hip. I saw the xray and it's a really bad break. He nearly sheared the entire intratrocanter off. We were anchored off of Thayer Beach and were trying to haul the kayak up onto the front deck when he lost his footing and came down hard. That guy was able to hop into the boat, get changed, climb up a ladder to drive the boat home, docked it, climbed back down again and then hopped all the way down the dock before getting in my car. And all with a hip nearly snapped in two. I had respect for his level of pain tolerance before, but that's pretty remarkable. Fortunately, there's been an abandoned walker sitting by the dumpster in the marina all summer and he was able to use that to help him hobble down. Poor guy. He was thinking he'd be out of the hospital the next day and back on the boat this weekend. I didn't have the heart to tell him, so I let the surgeon tell him he'll be laid up for 6-8 weeks before he can put any weight on it. Not a happy scene for a control freak. Maybe this ordeal will teach him to relax. Or drive me insane. Anyway, we're hoping the surgery will be done today, but as of this a.m. there was still no time scheduled for him.

3 comments:

KFH said...

That's unbelievable. I am truly sorry.

CASTG said...

Geez!!! But your BIL seems like a tough SOB - I'm sure he'll end up being fine (OR your sister may end up killing him during his convalesence.)

I know you guys feel the same way about 2008 - this year has been rough! I don't know what is going on. It's like God is taunting me to have a nervous breakdown. This year for me it's been about unexpected bills.

I had to take the girls to the Drs this a.m. to have their VT shots transformed on to SC paperwork, and then took them to the Beach for 2 hours. On the way home a big ass f*cking rock hit my windshield and now I have a 12" crack. I called the insurance company and I have a $1K deductible, so I have to shell out $200+ to have the windshield replaced. At least the repairers are coming to my house tomorrow, so I don't have to go anywhere. I also have to take Maddie to the vet tomorrow b/c she has this weird growth on her tummy. I'm sure that is going to cost me too.

Oh, and I'm not going to even go into Grace ripping one of the window treatments out of the wall 3days ago - the hole it left nearly brought me to tears.

MKC said...

I wonder if that was the same rock that cracked MY windshield? I wasn't even driving it! I let Tom's daughter and SIL stay at my house and drive my newish car while we were in NV. A truck on I-89 threw a rock at the passenger side of my windshield so I have a star that's sent down a crack of about 12 inches. So we're crack twins, you and! I'm not even going to deal with it since the car is inspected till June. They felt horrible and wanted to replace it but Tom was in ICU at the time and I told them they had more important issues. I also told them they did me a favor by getting the first official "ding" and now I could relax with my crapmobile. Last week, I got suckered into watching a kid for the day and he got something black all over the upholstery and ceiling.
Now, my cellar has a really disgusting smell and I keep going down there to try and locate it but can't quite find it. ZsaZsa won't even go down there so you KNOW it's bad. It's drifting upstairs.
I hope Maddie will be OK and inexpensive. And what's with Grace and the window treatment? Was she angry or just fooling around? Pets and kids...not exactly stress-relievers.
Jamie had surgery last night and will be in the hospital a few more days. Then the REAL challenge will begin...Jamie holding still for 2 months!
If all goes well (I haven't had an update in a couple of days,) Tom will get discharged this Sat.
2008...we pray for mercy!
MKC