Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Disappointment

Well, Alex was cut from the varsity soccer team yesterday. He is very sad and it's extremely painful to watch him suffer once again. I know your kids are much younger but you can probably remember back to HS and you are defined by what you do. Alex has always been an athlete. For him, it is another boulder pressing down his self-esteem. I want to shout at the universe, "Enough already. He's proven his character now just give him one lousy break". I'm struggling with all of the parenting adadges. He already knows "life isn't fair" but what about all those other ones like "everything happens for a reason" or "when one door closes another opens". I need to find a way to make him believe that hard work does indeed pay off even if it's not immediately apparent. I am weary to the bone. Sorry.

6 comments:

CASTG said...

Oh Karen, I'm sorry to hear that about Alex. I remember how much High School sucked! Even though YOU know that this won't factor into anything in his life in the next 20 years, it is still hard for him living in the moment. He must be feeling like he just can't catch a break.

Sometimes I wonder, haven't our kids suffered enough with losing their Dad? Shouldn't that give them extra credit in life or something?

Don't forget this adage:

"Whenever God closes one door He always opens another, even though sometimes it's hell in the hallway!"

KFH said...

Thanks, Constance. You made me smile for the first time today.

MKC said...

I can't relate to the sports part of this, but can understand the feeling of disappointment. And YOUR anguish.
It is OK to hope they all fall on their faces without him?

MKC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MKC said...

If you're wondering, I deleted the above post due to accidently posting the same thing 2X. Then I thought people might wonder who posted, then deleted, so thought I'd better explain.
Also, if you're wondering why I'm up at 1240, I just wanted some quiet time to myself for a change.
Do we ALL have the first day of school circled in red on our calendars?

CEC said...

Karen, I'm so sorry (echoing everyone else here). I don't have any wisdom, just compassion.