
So, in an effort to stem the flood of tears from the girls over Luna being left behind in Vermont, I agreed to the acquisition of two hermit crabs. They begged for a dog, a cat, a bunny rabbit, a hamster, a gerbil, and a turtle (in that order). I thought "hermit crab". I was looking for a low maintenance pet because I knew, in spite of their promises to the contrary, that I would be the one ending up caring for these new pets.
We brought home Herman and Crabbie on Friday. Since that time, Herman has fallen off the table TWICE. If he hadn't landed on the carpet, it would have been instant death.
However, today I discovered that Herman had lost his claw. There it was - lying on one side of the cage and Herman on the other. A quick search on Google led me to discover that a crab's big claw falling off is not the kiss of death, although it can be a sign of stress or illness.
I'm thinking it's the stress of being loved to death by two little girls.....
So when the girls were outside, I grabbed a spoon and picked up the claw and threw it in the trash. Disgusting. It made me miss Charlie - miss having him around to handle all the disgusting things that I shouldn't have to take care of, but now do.
4 comments:
P.S.
Herman (Grace)
Crabbie (Claire)
Very original - I know....
Count us lacking in originality as well. Our H.C. is "Hermie" and although Kelty professes to love him, she would have no clue if he died. I do all the maintenance. He's been here since April and he's already upgraded his shell. He ditched the one he came in and chose the biggest one in the pile we gave him. He dreams big for a little guy.
We went through the same possible pet list as you but more on the fur-bearing side of things. I took her to the pet store and showed her the guinea pigs and asked if she was willing to pick one up and handle it and she was NOT. So we decided a H.C. was the way to go.
As long as it's not a cat and it's as little work as a H.C., I'm happy. I had one in the Army for awhile. His name was Trigger and he went on weekend jaunts with me. He'd drink gin & tonic from a jar lid and that's what did him in. He always had good judgement about table edges until he was tipsy.
So, Southern Belle! We miss you already. The date is the 24th for the pool party. Should we call you on speaker phone while we're poolside?
Have you had the vapors yet?
Trigger? Oh, I love it! Gin and tonic? Are you sure he wasn't related to my Mom? She loves her gin and tonics.
I had a hermit crab as a kid. i don't even remember its name. He revolted me after a few weeks and I wished he would wrap things up quickly, but no. He lived for years, even surviving an escape from his tank and a battering from our cat. We fed him lettuce and cat food. Blech... even remembering him is giving me the willies.
I was in Stowe yesterday visiting a friend who is staying at Trapp and I missed knowing you were close--I got rather sorrowful, actually.
But I'm glad to know you're well, even with your leprosy crab
Post a Comment