Friday, March 28, 2008

WTH?

DEAR AMY:

How much recovery time does a younger widow need before she is ready to date?
A few months ago, a co-worker of several years lost her husband unexpectedly.
While talking to her about the tragedy, I realized I am deeply in love with her.
She represents everything I have been searching for in a relationship.
I sense she also has feelings for me, though probably not at the same intense level. My problem is that I don't know when or if I should approach her with my romantic intentions. If she is not ready for a new relationship, my actions could break her heart all over again, and I might lose her forever. -- Paralyzed By Love


DEAR PARALYZED:

There is no strict protocol for when grieving people are ready or available to date, but do yourself and your friend a favor and don't make any sudden moves.

Your admission to being deeply in love with someone you haven't yet dated is a red flag. At the very least, you should turn the heat way down. You may have a crush or an attraction, but you should shelve the "love" talk.

You should be reserved and respectful with your friend. Don't push for anything more than coffee and conversation. If she is ready to date, she'll find a way to let you know.

2 comments:

MKC said...

A FEW MONTHS!!! It would be interesting to be able to know if he acts on his feelings and what happened. We saw things like this on the YWBB and know that all sorts of endings can result.
The skeptic in me assumes he's just out to take advantage of her at a fragile time.

CEC said...

Dear Moron: Go find someone else who might be remotely emotionally available. If you don't believe me, ask Paul McCartney how these things work out.