Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Remembering Major Charlie Driscoll


I know I already sent this to you, but I read this again today and wanted to republish it. My feelings aside, I think it is a beautifully written piece.

Two years ago this country lost a great soldier and I lost a good friend. Below is a blog I wrote back on November 4th, 2004, in its entirety. Essayons, old friend, and rest in peace.

For Charlie...
This entry is dedicated to a good friend, an outstanding engineer, and a fellow military officer.

I learned this morning that Major Charles E. Driscoll, Engineer, United States Army Reserve, passed away on November 3rd after collapsing during his morning run. He had just returned to his civilian job on Monday, after demobilizing from his nine month tour in Iraq.

I had the good fortune to work and live with Charlie during the six months I was deployed to Iraq this year. We were both in the same boat - he was the lone Army engineer liaison officer and I the lone Navy engineer liaison officer in a section full of Marine officers.

What first impressed me about Charlie was his extensive knowledge of military engineering. At the same time, he knew what he didn't know, and he was always full of questions about the Seabees and Marine Engineers. His thirst for knowledge and willingness to get to the bottom of any issue were contagious.

I remember Charlie as the guy who always had a good book next to his bed, with two or three more waiting in reserve. He could discuss anything from relationships to comic books to military doctrine and hold his own with Colonels and Navy Captains. He worked out religiously each day, making me feel so guilty that I got back in that habit. Like me, he was fond of movies, and we made an effort to sneak out of the office early at least once a week to watch the latest DVD on our makeshift home theater system.

We even had a shelf-building competition, deciding that we were tired of living out of seabags and boxes in our dusty old room. We scoured Camp Fallujah for days in search of scrap lumber and tools, and in the end knocked out some rather primitive looking furniture. I harangued him mercilessly about the superior quality of Seabee construction over shoddy Army craftsmanship. In retrospect, although it was a bit wobbly (a problem easily fixed after driving half a dozen extra nails into each shelf), I think his product was far superior.

When he was promoted from captain to major in August, I actually stressed out over whether I should call him "Charlie" or "sir". It seems like such a trivial distinction now, and it is with the utmost respect and admiration that I call him "friend."

His presence, dedication to duty, and ardent professionalism impressed me and all those who worked with him. Charlie was a credit to the Army engineers and the United States Army as a whole. He will be sorely missed - but he will never be forgotten by this Seabee.
He leaves behind his wife Constance and two daughters Grace (2 yrs old) and Claire (6 months old - born while he was on deployment).

Charlie, it was an honor and a privilege to serve with you. All I can do now is pray for your family. You are now in a better place. Essayons, my friend.

2 comments:

KFH said...

Indeed. It is an amazing post and Charlie was an amazing person. I'm glad you shared him with us again this year. Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

MKC said...

It's a wonderful tribute. Amazing how much mere words can convey when coming from the heart.
We all know this is the toughest part of the year for you. We're with you in spirit.
Charlie looks so much like Grace in that photo.
We miss you!