Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summer 2008, Wearing SPF 65


I don't want to speak for the group as a whole, but so far the past 6 months of 2008 have been a total crapfest! Between broken vehicles, the IRS, vehicular accidents, cat attacks, flooded basements, broken hearts, and slugging through the trenches of child rearing - I'm exhausted. I don't remember having this kind of a rough patch since that first year after Charlie died. Of course, I wasn't in my right mind then, so who knows how I really remember it.

Does it ever get easier? I feel like I can't catch my breath. I'm getting overwhelmed by everything - especially the move. I just want a period of SEVERAL WEEKS during which nothing untoward happens. Perhaps this is unrealistic.

Of course, I think of my married friends. Lately they all seem to be calling me with their marriage problems. Being the good friend, I say little and just listen. During these conversations I've heard the following comments:

"Sometimes I just think how much easier my life would be if I didn't have to deal with J's shit."

"I think we could be happy if we lived in separate houses."

"I've tried to explain to my interns, who both have serious BFs, that after a few years of marriage you get sick of the guy, no matter who it is, and every tiny flaw is magnified 100000 times. They don't believe me. Stupid kids!!

And my personal favorite:

"The thought of my husband touching me makes me sick."

Apparently Summer 2008 is also the summer of Marital Woes. And I think to myself, "Why even bother? You'll just end up miserable like everyone else."

Our good marriages to our wonderful husbands were an anomaly.

6 comments:

MKC said...

Looking at the picture of the 4 of us having our January dinner to kick off the new year...whoa, little did we know the year that was to be. If I'd known what was coming, shortly after that picture was taken, I'd have hidden under the restaurant table (no, not necessarily with Giacomo,) and refused to leave.
So we're about halfway through the year...it can only get better, right?
But then...Con, you're leaving us! I told K2 and they were pretty sad about not seeing the girls on a semi-regular basis. We're not going to lose touch, are we?
How did you vacation go? What's up with everybody?
We're OK here and pray to remain as such.
MKC

CEC said...

2008 has been foul. My car accident of last week was yet another layer of icing on the cake.

We head off for our vacation on Saturday. Praying it is relaxing. Long term forcast looks downright cold, alas.

We need a widows weekend away before Con goes. What can we do? I have friends who have a house in Stowe we could all use.

KFH said...

Although I've been immune from the big disasters of 2008, I feel like it's been a tough emotional year. Lately, I've been crying a lot and can't seem to find anything that brings me peace at night. This is so hard.

We definitely need a night away together before Constance moves away (sniff, sniff). Do you think we can find an evening that works for everyone?

CASTG said...

Welcome back everyone! MKC & KFH you guys have been unusually quiet.

I'm SOOOO glad we're back on this forum. I just found out yesterday and the girls' winter vacation is from 19 Dec to 5 Jan - two whole weeks! We'll be back in Stowe during that time.

Right now, all I have is the 12th, 19th and 26th of July free for weekends. How does everyone else look?

Vacation? It's not really a vacation when you take your children. That's why I go to Vegas by myself!

P.S. Jordan is coming back to Stowe next week for a month rotation. Any bets on whether or not he'll contact me?

MKC said...

The last time I left my kids alone all night was the great Mugget mauling nightmare. It's going to be a challenge (AKA:heavy boozing) to get that out of my mind on a getaway night. What's in the collective minds for such an event? A Saturday PM in Stowe?
I would only have the 12th free, if anything. My FL brother is up on the following weekend so we're having a mini-reunion on Katie's boat. The weekend after that, we're in Nevada.
Does the 12th work all around? Con, do you have an actual date when you're outa here?
MKC

CASTG said...

I can do the 12th! Yes, we are "wheels up" on the 30th! I would like to (a) get together with you ladies w/o children and (b) get together with everyone & kids.