Thursday, June 26, 2008

Marital Status


Maybe it's just me, but I get really annoyed when the only options they give you for marital status are: single OR married. Or single, married, or divorced.

I ran into this issue today when I was changing a beneficiary form that I had forgotten about and was still in Charlie's name. I wrote the word "WIDOW", made a new block and checked that!!

4 comments:

MKC said...

I just got the annual form from Office of Personnel Management today that needed to know if I remarried in the past year. If not, you just toss it away, they don't care if you didn't, only if you did.
I don't know which is worse, writing a footnote at the bottom stating that you're living a nun's life on Bartlett Hill or having them not even give you that satisfaction.
In Ann Landers the other day a reader wondered how long after her divorce she would have to wait before declaring herself "single" rather than "divorced." Ann told her that unfortunately, she would never be able to claim being "single" again. Maybe they should start using the terms "spinster and bachelor" for f/m who have never married. Then divorced folks can have the term "single." Or maybe "re-singled."
I still don't like the term "single mom" applied to me.

CASTG said...

"Living a Nun's life with Giacomo....."

So if we apply Ann's logic, then we can never be considered "single" again either....

I don't like the term "single" mom either. I feel like it applies to divorced Moms, or those who chose to have a child as a single person by choice.

I always use the term "only parent.."

KFH said...

I agree. I detest filling out the "personal information" section on most forms. I always want to include a footnote and I applaud you, Constance, for making a widow box. We are NOT single moms although Giacomo's presence belies that! If that's not evidence of a man's absence, I don't know what is.

CASTG said...

Sadly I know many women who have a man and yet still prefer their Giacomos.....