Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dinner For Two

When the kids were small we bought a camcorder. We recorded on tiny tapes that were placed into an adaptor and viewed on the VCR. Since I no longer own a VCR I decided that I would have all of the cassettes made into DVDs. Over the past week I have delighted in watching first steps, pre-school graduations and family vacations. Perhaps the greatest find was a dinner conversation Jeff and I had when we didn't know the recorder was still on. There is really nothing special about it except that it's a snippet of our life. A simple conversation between two people who thought they'd have thousands more. It was worth every second of a teary, sleepless night.

2 comments:

MKC said...

"There is really nothing special about it except that it's a snippet of our life."
It's the snippets we miss the most. The little everyday moments we took for granted. I see people doing that all the time now and I want to tap them on the shoulder and tell them to cherish it. I try and remember that in dealing with parenthood.

CEC said...

Karen: What a beautiful gift to yourself that you've found. And I agree with MK that these snippets of life are the things that we miss the most and treasure the most as well. How wonderful that you've been able to revisit the past like this and to have visual/audio affirmation of the joy of everyday life with Jeff.

The night before last, as I was falling asleep I was sure that Alan was next to me for a minute. I could see his head and feel the weight of his body. And it felt so peaceful and connected. And then it was gone.